This is where third-string goalkeeper Adam Grinwis comes in. With starting keeper Pedro Gallese traveling back from a Monday match in Qatar, the next man up would have been Mason Stajduhar.
In an unfortunate turn, the Orlando native fractured his jaw at training last week and had to undergo surgery this past Friday, sidelining him for the next 6-8 weeks.
With the two players ahead of him out for this match against the New England Revolution (5-5-3) on Wednesday night, Grinwis steps in to mind the net in Foxboro, Mass.
“It’s kind of part of the job,” he said at training Monday, “Over the years, I’ve gained experience in this role. It’s not the ideal role, but it is one that you have to make the most of. … It’s my job to step in and help the team get a result.”
Grinwis has been with the Lions on and off since 2018. In that time, he has made 7 league appearances and 4 U.S. Open Cup appearances, having a notable run in 2019 when Orlando made the tournament’s semifinals.
“There’s a reason why I show up to work every day and prepare myself, and sometimes it doesn’t seem like an opportunity will ever come,” he said, “and then out of nowhere, there it is. So this is what I work for every day, and I couldn’t be more grateful.”
The most notable is the return of defender Antonio Carlos, who has been out since the first week of April with a hamstring injury. According to coach Oscar Pareja, the Brazilian’s first day training was Monday. “We were very excited to have him training normally,” he said.
Major League Soccer announced on Tuesday that a new 10-year agreement has been reached with Apple TV+ to host all future MLS matches on their broadcasting platform.
This new deal with Apple will see all matches hosted through their platform, including streaming rights to home broadcasts, meaning no more local blackouts as of 2023.
The Sports Business Journal reported that Apple will pay the league at least $250 million per year, well exceeding $65 million it received from ESPN, Fox and Univision combined since 2015.
The deal will not include the local broadcasting on terrestrial television and details for what will come with Orlando’s current contract with FOX 35+, which was just extended last year.
Orlando and the rest of the 16 cities bidding for hosting the 2026 World Cup will learn their fate on Thursday afternoon, when FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, will announce its choices.
The city’s biggest competition for the bid is Miami, sitting just four hours south. Most experts predict that only one of the two Florida cities will be chosen.
source: Orlando Sentinel